All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever before have numerous new strategies and scientific breakthroughs emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides millions of individuals the opportunity to lower or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the painless and fast way to remedy vision, however stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will be happy with your outcomes?
The crucial to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting referrals from other physicians or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be deceived by elegant advertisements about a specific laser. Select the medical professional, not the laser center. Find out who will in fact do your procedure, then ask about that medical professional's credentials (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Select a medical professional who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a medical professional doesn't know can injure you.
Ask for info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your medical professional won't tell you, find another one.
5. Ask what measures are required to avoid infection. Try to find a center with a dust-free or sterile operating space. Make certain that disposable parts are not recycled. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Beware of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgery is as good as a discount parachute.
Expect to see very well after LASIK, however do not expect to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any doctor who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not buying a vehicle; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or two, implantable lenses will probably provide much site better vision than LASIK. Think about waiting till the brand-new lenses are available. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the eyesight of countless individuals around the world.